Welcome to Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community

Welcome to Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community, like most online communities you must register to post in our community. Don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Apply to join BRH!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How To Judge Beer - The Beer Tasting Thread (Also homebrewing discussion)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

Beer-Types.jpg

Intro

Spoiler

Q: By `judging' you mean choosing your favorite right?
Spoiler

Q: Why judge a beer based on how it should be, rather than how much I like it?
Spoiler

Q: But beer tastes like beer. Also, I saw this thing where sommeliers couldn't tell the difference between red and white wines

Spoiler

Q: So how do I develop my palate?
Spoiler

Q: So, what do I do when I want to taste a beer?
Spoiler

Conclusion and Call to Action
Spoiler

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Reeeech

Reeeech
  • Admin
  • 184 posts

User's Awards

Love it Evan, really good point about judging a beer against its stylistic conventions rather than personal preferences. Also a note to add, if you have a full pour or something. Take your time with it, a beer warming up will let you taste it's true character. Some styles(high ABV stouts, barley wines) really shine when you let them get up to cellar temp.

OFFLINE   All Tangled Up

All Tangled Up
  • Admin
  • 1201 posts

User's Awards

Very comprehensive and well thought out post Nerds. I clearly don't have the knowledge, ability, thoughtfulness, or palate to be a beer taster. If you asked me what an IPA tastes like, I'd say "like a bitter turd", if you asked me what a brown ale tastes like, I'd say "beer", if you asked me what a lager tastes like, I'd say "bitter beer". I'm not very cultured of a beer drinker, I couldn't give you fanciful and interesting descriptors which would paint a flavor in your mind, but I understand and respect the merit of different flavors of beer and I know different processes go into creating that certain flavor, and I'll leave it to the badass brewers and tasters to create the mosaic. I'll stick to my Steel Reserve. I don't drink alcohol for the taste, for it all tastes worse than gingerale or tea or water, to my tongue at least. So I don't drink alcohol for the taste, I drink it for the high. The sweet sweet sluggish, achy, exhilarating, nauseating high.

Posted ImagePosted Image

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

Nobody drinks alcohol for the taste, but if I'm having beer instead of vodka n' mixer, the reason is going to be taste, or a weird way of reminiscing about my low-budget college days in the case of Steel Reserve.

Anyway, this is a perspective on beer tasting that I haven't seen before, that it carries over into your ability to appreciate other elements of culture. I'm inspired to give it an earnest try now.

glitterfy5104426T908B81.gif

h4AwBgY.gif

"Can your anus make it 12 hours?" -Codemonkey

"Gay Underage Incest Homestuck Fanfic is the new Rock n' Roll" -Jimson

"Some people don't even have what they have" -Zasderder 2014

"Technically [Palestine] was Britain's to give away" -Pezz

"It's still stalking even if he's 12 years old and your son." -Codemonkey

OFFLINE   All Tangled Up

All Tangled Up
  • Admin
  • 1201 posts

User's Awards

Several people in BRH would disagree with you there, Pete. I know for a fact Chode enjoys the taste of disgusting, terrible, vomit-inducing gin. Personally I'd rather gargle a man's balls, a man who has been wading through a swamp for a week, and then had to walk through a desert sweating his dick off for 2 days, and then for sustenance he waded into a pool of elephant and rhino feces to drink from a small pool of feces water, and then he wore a pair of Pezz's shitstained boxer briefs for a week, before walking into a small town, only to present his scrotum to my readied mouth, a scrotum I would graciously accept when matched against any beverage with gin in it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

OFFLINE   Lic

Lic
  • 367 posts

I got an easier 2-option system: drinkable or Bud Light.

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

Gin really hits me wrong too. I wonder if it's because it was the first thing I got drunk on, or maybe because a juniper berry allergy runs in my family, idk.

SoCal brh'ers: Vons just hella upped its IPA game this week. Mine now stocks Alpine, Pizza Port, and Oskar Blues IPA. They sold out in like two days

Sours seem to be the hipster rage now. I like a sour, but can only stand one. Any day now, Andrrson Valley is releasing a watermelon sour.i'm looking forward to tasting that, so tell me if you see it on shelves

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

Ok, Tangled mentioned Steel Reserve. So, for the first beer, why don't we all taste and rate Steel Reserve?

Post your observations on how it looks, smells, feels, and tastes. If you want, rate it (0-3 points for looks, 0-12 for smell, 0-5 for feel, 0-20 for taste, and 0-10 for overall impression)

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

It is raining as fuck here, so I'll have to take a rain check on the Steelies. I picked up a bottle of Karl Strauss Wreck Alley Imperial Stout yesterday to use in my sauerkraut, and tried to think more about those five aspects while sipping what I didn't use (about a pint), some from the bottle, some after it sat while I was busy cooking, and the last four ounces poured into a small glass at the end. Black body and creamy tan head, as all good stouts have, that cappuccino tone accentuating the added coffee and kept a decent amount of bubbles after the 45 minutes to an hour I had it out. The light passing all the way through had a ruby red glint. I promise I saw it better while holding it up to the light. The taste was nice, inoffensive, not much mocha but you can tell it's there, and the tiny bubbles carried it down smoothly. I don't feel familiar enough with the range to be accurate with these numbers, so I'll have to compare some more beers in this way, but...

Appearance gets a 3. I would give it a 2, but I tried to imagine how a 3 would look better, and I couldn't think of anything. 

Aroma gets a 6. There was very little aroma, but what little it had left me wanting more.

Mouthfeel gets a 3. I was thinking 4, but I just like the texture of stouts in general and this was not exceptional for them.

Taste gets a 15. Nice, dark, flavorful, but nothing to write home about.

Overall I give it a 9. ABV is 9.5% and each sip was a delight. 

That means I gave it a 36 out of 50. I might be too harsh on taste, so 36-38.

Karl Strauss' description: "Beneath the tides off Mission Beach rests Wreck Alley – a dark and mysterious seascape of forgotten ships. Amidst the rusted wreckage is a marine ecosystem, an artificial reef teeming with life. Our Wreck Alley is as dark as the depths of its namesake, an Imperial Stout of uncharted complexity. Brewed with darkly kilned malts, cocoa nibs, and Ethiopian coffee beans sourced by our friends at Bird Rock Coffee Roasters, Wreck Alley boasts rich layers of dark chocolate, toffee, and espresso-like roast."

I also like the inspiration for it because I've dived one of those wrecks, and will probably dive another one next month.

h4AwBgY.gif

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

It stopped raining so I hit the store. Picked up some Pizza Port Chronic Amber Ale, but first, the Steel Reserve! A high Gravity Lager.

Appearance: The golden yellow with a hint of orange and crystal clarity, is the hallmark of a good morning-after penance piss. The head is as small, heterogeneous, white, and quickly vanishing as the American blue collar middle class!

Aroma: Notes of diesel. I farted, but that didn't seem to interfere with the affect too much.

Mouthfeel: The bulk of the liquid goes down smoothly, but I feel as if bubbles like barnacles are left behind on my palate.

Taste: Mostly acrid, comparable to Natural Ice. At least it's not Kombucha.

Overall: 8.1%ABV and two dollars for a tallboy made this my staple for cash-on-hand runs to CVS with my roommate for two years when we were living in the oven above Verizon, giving it some sentimental value.

In total: 17 out of 50

h4AwBgY.gif