Welcome to Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community

Welcome to Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community, like most online communities you must register to post in our community. Don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Apply to join BRH!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How To Judge Beer - The Beer Tasting Thread (Also homebrewing discussion)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

Okay, Pizza Port Chronic (Amber) Ale

Appearance: Head was just alright when I poured it. Clear amber body, not sure what to say

Aroma: The dawn of spring may be affecting my sense of smell, but my sinuses are clear and I'm barely getting anything. I don't know smell words, but this has that almost syrupy or molassesy or mapley scent that I like.

Mouthfeel: The fizz assaults the palate with a million itty bitty bubbles that mostly excite rather than hurt, but there is an unpleasant instant with the sip. Good for an ale.

Taste: Decent, but not great.

Overall: Very drinkable, and I really want another because I burned my thumb and forefinger on my meat thermometer 20 minutes ago because I forgot it was hot from being in the oven, they still reeling, and the can/glass is cold.

34 out of 50, but again I may be underscoring because I don't want to give something a high score and then run into something that far surpasses it more than the scale can show

glitterfy5104426T908B81.gif

h4AwBgY.gif

"Can your anus make it 12 hours?" -Codemonkey

"Gay Underage Incest Homestuck Fanfic is the new Rock n' Roll" -Jimson

"Some people don't even have what they have" -Zasderder 2014

"Technically [Palestine] was Britain's to give away" -Pezz

"It's still stalking even if he's 12 years old and your son." -Codemonkey

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

32 out of 50, but again I may be underscoring because I don't want to give something a high score and then run into something that far surpasses it more than the scale can show

Interesting you should mention that. BJCP advises an "excellent beer" be rated somewhere between 38-44. I rated 46 for my two all time favorites: Heady Topper and Enjoy By

(also, looks like you gave it a 34, not a 32)

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

Bud Light

American Light Ale
Appearance: 1
Pale yellow.lots of tiny bubbles cling to the glass. tiniest bit of head fades imediately

Aroma: 4
Faint hop smell, litte bit of malt, kind of yeasty in a bad way

Mouthfeel: 4
Ticklish and light

Taste: 10
Some malt taste , slightly piney hoppy aftertaste. tiny bit bitter, spicy hop

Overall: 5
Drinkable, with significant flaws in appearance and aroma

Total 24

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

Oh yeah, I had aroma at 5 but then changed it to 7 

h4AwBgY.gif

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

Aroma is hardest for me to pin down. Which makes sense, I'm tactile and aroma is just difficult in general. Mouthfeel and looks, I instantly know what I feel about it. quantitatively. But aroma, it's hard for me to figure out how to balance a good aroma that is light. Like, is that worse than a good aroma that is heavy? But it can't always be "stronger the aroma the better," so wth.

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

Well, too much aroma probably means the beer is too volatile or something, which would harm the quality of the fragrance. If you can fill your lungs with a great smell, there's the 12, while a piquant but moderate to light aroma, I think, will rarely register above a 9. Too much of a mediocre thing falls into the 0-4 range.

h4AwBgY.gif

OFFLINE   Codemonkey

Codemonkey

Site Administrator

• Leader
  • 2782 posts

User's Awards

Perfect! I was arguing this on the TF2 server just the other night.

Both Trebec and I are homebrewers and are part of the local area home brew club. A big part of home brew is knowing exactly what makes up a good beer so that way you can recreate it appropriately.

In just about any form of art there's 2 sides to appreciating it, 1: I like it, 2: It tastes/looks/feels/smells (etc) like it should. I've met people who don't have a favorite type of beer and just enjoy beers that fit the profile of which they were brewed in; they prefer to admire the craft.

Trebec and I actually did an (unofficial) judging at our homebrew club for bring some beers to a competition. We were paired with 2 other experts who were actually BJCP certified and asked to come up with rankings. Typical judging events require all judges to be within 7 points of each other, which is difficult when you're a newbie to the craft.

Check out the formal score sheet here: http://www.bjcp.org/...rScoreSheet.pdf
I love it when a clam comes together.

It's not fast spawn out there so be careful

WE SUM DUM LEADURZ.

Guess what, Defendthat! I've visited my prostate on several occasions.

OFFLINE   ﮓÅßÆR

ﮓÅßÆR
  • Community Leaders
  • 335 posts
There has only ever been one beer i didnt finish and didnt enjoy! Yenglings IPL was so bad i couldnt finish it! I would be a horible judge due to my love of all beers :-)
-ßЯҢ- ﮓÅßÆR [DG]: wat us iu tqlki abt
Irish [DG]: Are you Plastered ?

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

Perfect! I was arguing this on the TF2 server just the other night.

Both Trebec and I are homebrewers and are part of the local area home brew club. A big part of home brew is knowing exactly what makes up a good beer so that way you can recreate it appropriately.

In just about any form of art there's 2 sides to appreciating it, 1: I like it, 2: It tastes/looks/feels/smells (etc) like it should. I've met people who don't have a favorite type of beer and just enjoy beers that fit the profile of which they were brewed in; they prefer to admire the craft.

Trebec and I actually did an (unofficial) judging at our homebrew club for bring some beers to a competition. We were paired with 2 other experts who were actually BJCP certified and asked to come up with rankings. Typical judging events require all judges to be within 7 points of each other, which is difficult when you're a newbie to the craft.

Check out the formal score sheet here: http://www.bjcp.org/...rScoreSheet.pdf

That's awesome! I just made my first-ever batch of homebrew last night! It was just a cheapo American light to get my feet wet and see if I liked it. Please share some of your experiences.

There are companies that make "off smell" and "off taste" simulation drops. So, you get a case of cheap light beer, and put some drops in, and it lets you know what "stale yeast" or "fermented at too high temperature." When I can finally drink, instead of just tasting and spitting, I'm gonna get a set and learn this stuff.

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

I trued brewing beer while living in an apartment with half a kitchen. I didn't have the energy or personal responsibility at the time to clean up my equipment properly afterwards, so I had to do all the cleaning before my second batch after shit was all crusty and moldy.

Of course, that was when more than half my monthly income went to rent plus student loans, and I was driven to alcoholism as a cheap path to temporary fulfillment, so naturally I didn't want to spend more than the bare minimum possible time engaging the hobby. 

I didn't make a third batch, and eventually "cleaned" the equipment but there was still some residue, so it sat in storage when I moved to the room where it would've been impossible to get the kitchen time to brew, and finally I chucked it after moving to where I live now. For the cost, I'd rather buy electronics.

h4AwBgY.gif