Welcome to Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community

Welcome to Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community, like most online communities you must register to post in our community. Don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Team-BRH.com :: A Gaming Community by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Apply to join BRH!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How To Judge Beer - The Beer Tasting Thread (Also homebrewing discussion)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Codemonkey

Codemonkey

Site Administrator

• Leader
  • 2782 posts

User's Awards

That's awesome! I just made my first-ever batch of homebrew last night! It was just a cheapo American light to get my feet wet and see if I liked it. Please share some of your experiences.

Both Trebec and I have been brewing for about 3 years now, mostly doing kits from Northernbrewer. I would recommend finding a club in your area and checking it out. If typical clubs work like ours meetings are bit of business for organizational purposes and then a lot of beer tasting. Like I said, we've got a few BJCP certified judges in our club and you can learn a ton by just listening to them describe beer.

After you try out a few kits from a supply shop check out BrewToad: https://www.brewtoad.com/. You can find a ton of recipes there and create and tweak your own and it'll tell you what some of the stats of what that beer will look, taste and feel like. It'll also guide you into styles so that way you know your recipe will fall into a particular type of beer.
I love it when a clam comes together.

It's not fast spawn out there so be careful

WE SUM DUM LEADURZ.

Guess what, Defendthat! I've visited my prostate on several occasions.

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

My 5L brewing kit just came in the mail!

As soon as the northernbrewer recipe kit comes, I'm going to take a swing at some session IPA

So excited! Yay for new hobbies

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Codemonkey

Codemonkey

Site Administrator

• Leader
  • 2782 posts

User's Awards

Awesome!

The best thing about brewing IPAs is that they are difficult to screw up. I've brewed an IPA where I half-assed the sanitize, fucked up a step or two during the boil and left it in the fermenter for an extra week because I was lazy. Still turned out fantastic.

Don't feel bad if you fuck it up though, I've had my share of fuck ups (and so has Trebec.)
I love it when a clam comes together.

It's not fast spawn out there so be careful

WE SUM DUM LEADURZ.

Guess what, Defendthat! I've visited my prostate on several occasions.

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

I had a batch where the yeast didn't mix right or something, and so a bunch of bottles would lose half their content spraying out fizz as soon as I opened them. But it still tasted decent.

glitterfy5104426T908B81.gif

h4AwBgY.gif

"Can your anus make it 12 hours?" -Codemonkey

"Gay Underage Incest Homestuck Fanfic is the new Rock n' Roll" -Jimson

"Some people don't even have what they have" -Zasderder 2014

"Technically [Palestine] was Britain's to give away" -Pezz

"It's still stalking even if he's 12 years old and your son." -Codemonkey

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

Awesome!

The best thing about brewing IPAs is that they are difficult to screw up. I've brewed an IPA where I half-assed the sanitize, fucked up a step or two during the boil and left it in the fermenter for an extra week because I was lazy. Still turned out fantastic.

Don't feel bad if you fuck it up though, I've had my share of fuck ups (and so has Trebec.)

Question I can't find on Google or my messageboards:

I'm going to dry hop in my primary. How do I add the pellets, like physically? Do I open the lid and toss the bag in there? Seems like that would let in a lot of O2.

All the advice i get is like "be sure to cold shock your pellets so they don't have a lot of O2 in them," and it's like "uhhh, that's nothing compared to the huge amount I'll let in breaking the seal on my vessel."

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

I had a batch where the yeast didn't mix right or something, and so a bunch of bottles would lose half their content spraying out fizz as soon as I opened them. But it still tasted decent.

Wait, you said you only did one batch. So that didn't work right on your first and only batch? Sorry you got dead yeast or something.

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

Wait, you said you only did one batch. So that didn't work right on your first and only batch? Sorry you got dead yeast or something.

No, I did two batches. That was my second. What with having a small kitchen and not very much experience in general, and working from a recipe and ingredients curated by my local brew shop, I had a lot of mess and no easy way to clean the stuff afterwards. If you don't have a hose and a back yard and a full kitchen, home brewing is mostly a gigantic pain in the ass. Fermenting in the guest bedroom was also not a great look.

I'm going to dry hop in my primary. How do I add the pellets, like physically? Do I open the lid and toss the bag in there? Seems like that would let in a lot of O2.

All the advice i get is like "be sure to cold shock your pellets so they don't have a lot of O2 in them," and it's like "uhhh, that's nothing compared to the huge amount I'll let in breaking the seal on my vessel."

CO2 is heavier than O2, especially when cooler than the surrounding atmosphere, so I believe the idea is that O2 won't permeate that CO2 layer unless you disturb the container too much (think of how dry ice vapor wavers in a bucket) or leave it out for a long time, or carry it in the crevices of hop pellets. 

h4AwBgY.gif

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

Ah, that adds up. And if there's any bit of yeast left reacting, that would force any introduced air out the airlock.

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif

OFFLINE   Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete
  • Admin
  • 1847 posts

User's Awards

Ah, that adds up. And if there's any bit of yeast left reacting, that would force any introduced air out the airlock.

Quite right. Take care, however, that you introduce the dry hops after the bubbling has settled out, because I've heard that the CO2 pressure will push out the aromatic particles as well. However if your hops are particularly strong that could be a way to keep it from overpowering other flavors. I'm just spitballing here.

I am homebrewing vicariously. 

h4AwBgY.gif

OFFLINE   Drunk Nerds

Drunk Nerds
  • Admin
  • 3636 posts

User's Awards

I noticed that contradiction too, where adding the hops early prevents O2 but undermines the whole super-aromatic process

NLSP5d8.gifZI94lAQ.gif